Male pattern baldness is commonly discussed. But when it comes to hair loss in females, there is less information available. Hair thinning and loss can occur in both men and women, and we address both types at our Chicago, IL, practice. According to the Cleveland Clinic, over 50 percent of women will experience some type of hair loss, including female hair loss at the temples. Our team at the Chicago Hair Institute, led by Raymond J. Konior, M.D., F.A.C.S., explores this topic and discusses some of the most common hair loss treatment options for women.
Causes of Female Hair Loss at the Temples
There are several factors that can contribute to female hair loss at the temples. Some of the most common include:
- Female-pattern baldness: Like male-pattern baldness, female-pattern baldness can cause hair loss at the temples. This condition is due to family history. It is simply a result of genetics and is not caused by any external habits or circumstances.
- Pregnancy: Hormone fluctuations during and after pregnancy can lead to female hair loss at the temples.
- Stress: Physical or emotional stress is a major contributor to female hair loss. The mind and body are undeniably connected. Consistent stress can have a significant impact on the health of your hair and more.
- Certain medications: Different drugs have different side effects. Some medications can increase the risk of hair loss. Talk to your doctor about any medications before you start taking them.
- Traction alopecia: Constantly pulling the hair back into a tight ponytail can cause hair loss over time.
- Vitamin deficiencies: Lack of nutrition can have a negative effect on hair follicle health. In particular, Vitamin B and D deficiencies can lead to female hair loss at the temples.
- Tobacco use: Toxins found in tobacco smoke can affect hormone production and hair follicle health. Over time, this damage can lead to hair loss.
Signs and Symptoms
It is normal to lose some hair on a daily basis. If you shed hair frequently and notice small clumps of hair in the shower, it is nothing to worry about. However, here are some signs that could indicate female hair loss:
- Hair is visibly thinning, particularly around the temples
- Decrease in overall hair volume
- Broken or missing hairs
- Losing considerably more hair when washing or brushing
- Small bumps on the scalp
If you notice any of these symptoms, schedule a consultation at our Chicago practice. Our doctors can help determine the appropriate treatment for you.
Preventing Female Hair Loss at the Temples
If hair loss is genetic, it cannot be prevented altogether. However, there are steps you can take to reduce hair loss and slow its progress:
- Avoid treatments that can damage hair, such as heated styling tools
- Do not twist or pull your hair
- Avoid putting the hair up into a tight ponytail, braid, or bun
- Reduce stress by practicing mindfulness
- Eat a healthy diet rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids
- If you must undergo chemotherapy, request a cooling cap
Schedule a Consultation at the Chicago Hair Institute
Female hair loss can have a significant negative impact on your confidence and overall quality of life. If you are suffering from hair loss and would like to learn more about your options at our practice, contact us online or call us at (630) 932-9690.