Causes of Hair Loss in Male Teenagers By Dr. Raymond Konior on July 20, 2018

Many factors can contribute to hair loss in male teens, including health issues like alopecia and hair growth interruption from a traumatic event. At Chicago Hair Institute, our doctors offer hair loss treatment to restore the hairline.

In this blog post, we discuss the causes of hair loss in male teenagers. Read on to learn more, and then contact our Chicago, IL practice to schedule your consultation with us.

Healthy Hair Loss

Did you know that at any time, about 90 percent of your hair is growing, while the other 10 percent enters a period of rest that lasts anywhere from three to four months? Following this resting cycle, the hair sheds, creating space for new hair to grow.

Minor hair loss is actually normal and even healthy, causing you to lose anywhere from 50 to 100 hairs on your head per day. However, several conditions can cause male teens to lose an atypical amount of hair.

Androgenetic Alopecia

Commonly known as male-pattern baldness, androgenetic alopecia is a leading reason for male hair loss. While this disorder is more prevalent in adults, teenagers and those in their early 20s can experience premature signs of balding, like a receding hairline or thinning hair at the crown.

Both hormones and genetic factors can contribute to this type of hair loss.

Alopecia Areata

Have you noticed your hair falling out in round or oval patches? If so, you may suffer from a condition called alopecia areata. This happens when your immune system mistakenly attacks your hair follicles.

The cause of this disorder is unknown, but it is not permanent. To reduce the effects of alopecia areata and help patients regrow hair, doctors can prescribe certain medications.


Infections can also lead to hair loss. Ringworm of the scalp is a common fungal infection that can cause people shed unhealthy amounts of hair. Fortunately, this can be remedied with medication.


Hormones play a large part in teenage development, and hormonal conditions like thyroid disease and lupus can cause teenage males to lose their hair.

Other Causes of Hair Loss

Health issues are not the only reasons male teenagers experience hair loss. Other situations and lifestyle factors also contribute to this problem, and do not require medical intervention.

For example, if you dye your hair with harsh chemicals, over-straighten your hair, or pull your hair into a tight style like cornrows, this could be causing you to lose unnecessary amounts of hair.

Your diet could also play a role in hair loss, depending on what you are or are not eating. If a teen is not consuming enough of the proper nutrients, he might start to lose hair.

Certain medications, like some acne or mood stabilizing medications, could also cause teen hair loss.

Find Solutions for Your Hair Loss

Adult men are not the only ones who experience hair loss. Sometimes, teenage males experience underlying health issues or have habits that lead to hair loss.

At Chicago Hair Institute, our team is proud to offer the highest quality hair loss treatments, delivered with compassionate care. To find out how our doctors can help you or your teen with this problem, call us at 630-932-9690, or get in touch with us online anytime.

Related to This

Dr. Raymond J. Konior, MD, FACS

Chicago Hair Institute

Dr. Raymond J. Konior and the team at the Chicago Hair Institute offer world-class treatment backed by over 30 years of expertise in the field of hair restoration. Our doctors are nationally affiliated with professional associations including:

  • International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
  • American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

To learn more or to schedule an appointment at our Chicago, IL, hair restoration clinic, contact us online or call (630) 932-9690.

Contact Us

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite